Friday, July 3, 2009

Our First Month Cable Free

Help, I can't keep up!
We suspended our cable as of June 1st since we tend to spend much more time outside in the summer months. This experiment has snowballed and made our lives so much more interesting and busy. With Sid's creativity unleashed we have been on a super learning curve. In just the last three days, she has gone fossil hunting, she was a teacher, an author, a cat, an astronaut a poet, a ballerina, a cook, a vet an electrician and a pilot. She is constantly asking questions and looking to me to find her the answers. I don't know what I would do without the Internet. Without the tv interrupting us we find role playing games and work books (lapbooks) last all day and sometimes several days. We recently did a lapbook on the Robert Louis Stevenson poem The Moon. This brought about a lot of questions about what a thief is and this morning she decided to write a poem too. She rambled it off and I wrote it word for word. The only thing I suggested was the title. Here are pictures of her lap book and her poem.
Thieves Wall - a poem by Sidney

The moon with the face
Shinning on the thieves wall
Be out of her way
To be tall and small


With the dog barking at the door,
And the cat squalling at the door,
The mouse squeaking and living in the thieves wall


Now for Robert Louis Stevenson's poem:


The Moon

The moon has a face like the clock in the hall;
She shines on thieves on the garden wall,
On streets and fields and harbour quays,
And birdies asleep in the forks of the trees.


The squalling cat and the squeaking mouse,
The howling dog by the door of the house,
The bat that lies in bed at noon,
All love to be out by the light of the moon.


But all of the things that belong to the day
Cuddle to sleep to be out of her way;
And flowers and children close their eyes
Till up in the morning the sun shall arise.



We started an All About Me lapbook because Sid wants to learn her phone number and address. We have been drawing a lot of maps so we will include maps of our neighbourhood and yard. Sid has also rediscovered her I can Cut and I can Fold books published by Kumon. Lots of cutting, folding and stapling to make little books for her doll Wanda.


Every morning I wake up excited to find out where the day will take us. Living through the eyes of a three year old is an incredible thing!

Sidney Cat in the rear view

Bike ride and fossil hunting along the river

Canada Day BBQ in our backyard with a rainbow in the background.


1 comment:

  1. It's great not to be tied to the TV! We only get one channel and we don't really miss much. LOL Ben actually dislikes TV most of the time - there are days I wish he'd watch a video just to give me a break, but I think he's better off this way. He'd much rather be outside no matter what the weather. Too bad we're so far away - sounds like Sid and Ben would have a blast discovering and learning together!
    XO
    Mo

    ReplyDelete