Monday, January 30, 2012

Another Excitement Filled Night

Whoa, who knew life at 3:00 a.m. in the boonies could be so eventful?!   Last night Ken heard a loud bang and woke me up to tell me another vehicle was in the ditch.  He said he thought it was a truck on its roof.  He ran out to the garage to get a flashlight and I sprang out of bed and called 911.   While on the phone I watched Ken run down the lane way with a battery powered lantern.  I ran out in my coat, and p.j.'s with the 911 operator still on the phone with me and Ken pulled our van up to the wreck so we could see in.  I was horrified.  I was yelling,  to the driver "It's ok, we'll get you out, help is on the way."  There was no answer.  Both Ken and I were loaded with adrenaline and ready for the worst.   Ken got in the ditch and managed to pull a door open.  I froze.   Ken looks at me and yells "There is nobody in here!".  What?  How is that possible.  The vehicle was upside down in a ditch and only unattended for about 3 minutes when Ken got the lantern then again when he pulled up the van.  I reported this to the dispatcher.  She said not to worry help was on the way and boy oh boy did the cavalry come!  Two paramedics, a paramedic truck, 4 fire trucks, 4 police officers and several volunteer fire fighters were on the scene.  The road was lined with emergency vehicles again.  Our worst fear was that someone was trapped underneath the truck.

 This is the front of our house basked in the glow of emergency lights.
 The truck was smashed, the grill lying behind it in our lane way.  Shovels and paraphernalia from the box of the truck scattered across the lawn.  Windshield smashed, tail gate totaled, a wreck, but no driver.  Ken and our neighbour remembered hearing a car speed away shortly after the crash.  Upon closer inspection, the driver window was smashed and someone was dragged out of the truck and then out of the ditch.   It ends up that the vehicle was stolen and the bad guys got away.  The police were on the verge of getting the K9 unit on scene but could find no other footprints so assumed his buddies picked him up.  What a scare.  Kind of bitter sweet I guess.  We were so thankful no one was seriously injured in the truck but we were also so shaken up from opening up the truck to find no one there.  It was so weird, especially when you are expecting the worst and still waiting for emergency crews to make it to the scene.  In hind sight, I am glad the bad guy wasn't lurking around the property hiding from the police, that is even more scary.  You just don't think of those things when you think someone is in need of help!

Back inside to watch the tow truck pull the pickup out of the ditch and close out the night.  Back to bed at 4:50.

As Frankie Valli said "Oh What a Night!" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment