Monday, February 4, 2013

School Doesn't Always Look Like School

One of the biggest challenges I face as a homeschooling parent are the mind games I play with myself.  When (over) thinking the education we are providing for the little one, I often swing from certainty, to doubt.  I wasn't raised like this, am I doing the right thing?  What if?  But then I get hit in the head with the reality that this little kid is thriving, striving and teaching me every day.  She is so packed with knowledge and the desire to learn and is allowed to progress at her own pace.  Her interests and inspiration lead her while I facilitate by providing what she needs or asks for.  How could that be wrong?

This past week, a friend who also creates mobiles asked me to bring her some 2ft long sticks.  Sid and I went into the bush to find a selection from downed trees.  We came across an old birch that had split and was suspended in the trees.  It was dried out but not rotted since it wasn't on the ground.  After some time picking through to find the perfect branches, we were happy with our selection and lugged the branches home.  I tasked Sid with the job of removing the loose bark so the branches were smooth and wouldn't shed bark bits all over the place.  Well this turned into a day and a half project.  First Sid discovered that she needed sand paper but that wasn't enough.  She thought she was capable enough to use my pocket knife to whittle the bark away.  Why not? 
 I set her up in the living room with a bin, a pocket knife and the knowledge to use it safely and then she was off.  She spent three hours whittling, sanding and perfecting the sticks.  The next morning she got up and in her jammies she continued her work and only stopped for breakfast and lunch.  By two in the afternoon her job was done.  She was so excited and loving wood carving.  We went out to Canadian tire and bought her her own pocket knife and off she went into the woods to collect more branches. 
 Does anyone need some nicely whittled branches?  We have a steady supply now and we are learning and learning about how to carve, whittle and identify different types of wood.  Sid has found something she is passionate about and I keep thinking how lucky she is to be able to explore these interests. 

During this whittling extravaganza, I created this bunny play mat!  It turned out beautifully and is now in the shop!  Sid whittled, I felted and we laughed, talked and listened to audio books.  WE love school!


Everyday I learn to sit back and trust that we are learning and growing.  Then I look back at how far we have come and I know we are definitely heading down the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment