Wednesday, January 30, 2013

From Farm To Fiber To Felting To Finishing

I was so lucky to get in touch with Shirley Browsky who owns Canaan Mohair.  Shirley's sons Mark and Chris played in bands with Ken when I first met him and Shirley's late husband Jerry was the purchasing agent for our home.  Our families were meant to be intertwined for some reason because while looking for a supplier of local wool I found Shirley and she lives less than 10km from our place!   Not only is she a master spinner and dyer but she has been doing this for over 30 years and has her own flock of sheep!  Sid and I went for a visit and got to meet the sheep the fleece comes from.
This is Bailey the guardian animal that protects the sheep from the coyotes which we heard howling in the woods.  Bailey is a Llama.  Inquisitive and right up in my camera, he liked stealing the show and protecting his sheep.
Shirley's girls wear coats in the winter to keep the fleece as clean as possible.
This picture makes me want to go to sleep ;)
Apparently they always walk in the same place and always in a line.
Inside the studio, Shirley showed me her drum carder and how to card the wool into batts.  She also showed me how to motorize the carder by adding a washing machine motor and a pulley.  Oh and my good friend Sheila who owns an alpaca ranch has offered me her drum carder to "store" here. 


Then I got to play with the uncarded dyed wool.  Shirley dyes every spring so I can ask her to dye any colours I might need for the upcoming year.  OMG  

I left with a pound of freshly carded mohair (lamb mohair!!) and some dyed wool and the inspiration to card my own wool as needed!  This means I will have a steady supply of fibre that is local!    I can also supply Jen with all the wool she needs for her sewing projects available in the shop. 

The Etsy shop is booming.  I completed another one of these bee mobiles today and have a pet portrait to start tonight!  I still have to get my spring / Easter items made to post in the next week.  On top of that, the shop was featured on the cover of Today's Parent Magazine and will be featured in an article in the Huffington Post this week.  I've got to get moving because we are about to get insanely busy!
Another thing I do for the shop is styling through photography.  Here are few of the latest pictures that are making waves for us on Etsy. 
 This hand boiled wool cape that Sid is modeling and was created as a gift for her in exchange for a photo shoot.  It can be purchased here:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/105878381/red-riding-hood-cape-girls-lined-boiled?


 And these are Jen's beautiful hand stitched wool bunnies ready for Easter!  http://www.etsy.com/listing/67438897/spring-bunny-toy-organic-stuffed-animal?ref=v1_other_1

So that is a glimpse into our new journey.  From farm to finishing.  What an amazing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment