Monday, August 26, 2013

Coming to a Close

The days are getting noticeably shorter and much cooler at night.  The pool continues to run but sits empty and coooooold compared to the 90 degrees we hit in July.  Our activities have slowly changed over the last few weeks as we spend most of our home time outside in the yard hunting insects and playing.  Our out of home activities have gone back to nature hikes and quiet times with friends as we all gear up for a new year of homeschooling. 
This year will be different for Sid.  Grade 3.  She is finally really showing an eagerness to learn stuff on her own.  I am here as a facilitator and often place interesting things in front of her to explore but now I see a change. A hunger for knowledge.  We have been waiting for this!  So before we get into heavy duty studies we will have a couple last weeks of sunshine, bugs, reading in the hammock, riding the 4 wheeler and just hanging out together.  OH an the ever present Kajukenbo too.
 
Full Splits Club!
 
The video below was taken at one of the early training sessions.  I laugh every time I see it!
 
Nature really is our classroom!


Soldier Beetle on Tansy.  These guys are good guys and eat aphids and bad bugs!
 Playdates and walks in the woods with friends keep us grounded.
 So much to share and talk about!
 These are called cheese wheels and we were introduced to them by our friends.  They are the seed pods in the Mallow flowers before they turn brown and go to seed.  Absolutely delicious in salad.  I am lucky enough to have a huge yard full of them. While they take a bit of time to pull out of the flowers they are worth it when you chomp into them with a mix of fresh veggies and lettuce!
 Sid was in love with this car.  Funny thing is Sigung's new nickname for her is Mini-Cooper. 
 A few macro shots of creatures around our yard.  I love how interesting these bugs are up close!

 This guy is my favourite.  A fuzzy caterpillar on a Sunflower leave.  What a face!
 And the true signs of fall, the grasshoppers are all over the place!
 Sun and fun and time for bed
Goodnight Summer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment