Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Day of School


Yes, even homeschoolers have first days of school! The ironic thing is that it looks like every other day of the year and we LOVE it! Everywhere we go Sid is asked what grade she is in and how she likes school. I never intervene, she always answers that she is homeschooled and has always received positive feed back. This past week has been all about "so, are you ready to go back to school?". So to embrace these questions, together we decided to make September 6th Sid's official first day of school for her Grade One. I asked her what her goals were for this year and she decided she wants to be able to write, read better and wants to learn about cycles. I wasn't sure what she meant about cycles but she explained that she already knew about the water cycle but wants to know about leaves, seasons, life, all of those cycles. Hmmm I guess I know what we are doing for science this year!


So our first day started with some cuddles, reading Harry Potter, some math work and then some spelling games. We use the Ipad so much throughout the day too. It has changed how we homeschool. We do lots of hands on practical stuff then when Sid wants a break she can play games on the Ipad. We have several amazing games like Word Wagon (spelling and reading), math tree (simple addition and subtraction), math balance, Toco Doctor (puzzles). After she has played some of her *educational* games she can have free play on the Ipad. Her newest favorite game is My Playhouse which is an interactive dollhouse which has captivated her. Quite often we save our Ipad learning for the car. We try to keep it aside at home so on our long drives into the city it is just perfect for carschooling! So after some morning work we played outside and had lunch at our picnic table and enjoyed the fall breeze under the sun. Not many picnic days left. In the afternoon Sid did her very first needle felting project. She made a golden snitch. She made it herself and I only helped with the cutting of the wings. She enjoyed the project and didn't jab a needle through her finger. YAY!

Next was an early dinner then off to Karate. She is still loving it so much. Here is her Karate Kid pose.

This kicking bag was hanging above her head. She ran into to the club after getting changed and saw it hanging there. Without any provocation, she ran up to it and kicked it. Whoa!



Here she practices her round kicks with her new friend. "Smell my feet!!!"


After Karate we came home to play with the pups and spend time with dad. It was a great first day!


Haire cuts please!!!!! - Maggie and Groovy



Our Lilly

Oh and before I forget to post about it.... here are some pics we took this weekend when we stopped by the farm to meet Kings replacement. Thankfully this will sooth the pain of loosing King.


Meet Flint!


He is an ex-musical ride horse. Lovely, friendly and beautiful. He is very calm with the kids and a perfect match for Kings old box stall.


The friendship begins....



Of course I had to take my new lens out for a spin so here is a shot I caught in the sheep barn. I call it Lamb-ouflauge.




Oh and speaking of the new lens.... here we are enjoying our day together


Happy second day of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment