Thursday, July 4, 2013

Country Living - More Neighbours in our yard


Sid was going to hop into the pool when she came to me and said "Mom I found a frog or a leaf or a fungus or something, come and see!"  This Eastern Gray Tree Frog was flat and snuggled right up under the outside edge of our pool.  I have never seen one of these. They are nocturnal and squish right down to look like a leaf.
We scooped him up in a container which was a good thing because this frog can JUMP!  Usually they will live up in the tree tops and leap from tree to tree.  You very rarely see them which would explain why this is the first time I have seen one of these.
 Look at the suction cup toes.  What a gorgeous frog!

 When he jumped we spotted the yellow legs and thighs.  So pretty!
 I love this pic.  He was so cute and Sid and I has a lot of fun learning about him and we returned him to the pool edge to continue his afternoon nap.
There was a bit more excitement too.  I was collecting nettle for tea when I decided to start pulling some weeds up front.  I pulled a large clump up by the house and accidentally uncovered this nest on the ground!  These are baby song sparrows and Mom and Dad have been very good parents.  We have witnessed one of the parents fly to our back door, hover and pluck moths off the screen then return the treat to the babies.  Yesterday our back door was open a crack and the mama flew into our house.  What a fun time that was.  I was lucky enough to be holding a towel and after three or four attempts to fly through our living room window, I caught her under the towel and released her in the front yard.  She was fine and flew right to the tree to watch over her babes.  We will keep checking on them to watch them grow and will hope the cat doesn't find them.  Nature can be so harsh.
 Our passports have arrived.  Now it is time to book our flights.  Sigung suggested we could save some money by packing Sid as carry on!

More belt tests this week.  Hope fights to take her new half orange belt from Sigung.  Sid has a belt test coming up, she is starting to practice those 5 minute horse stances again.  I am really excited to see her earn her next belt, she deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment