Sunday, March 6, 2011

OH the Drama!!!

Now that I have your attention, hehehe, here it is, Sid's first play. There was one boy missing so the teacher read his lines. It is hard to hear their lines but overall the experience is very cute. Most importantly, Sid really loved this class and is signing up for the next 12 week one with Miss Kristy.


After the play we were treated to some of the drama games they play during class time. Was I ever surprised to see them doing improve. The teacher would tell them three random objects to use (lollipop, rake and raccoon cage) and the kids had to put scenes together. This was soooo funny.


We have been promised that the next session is longer so the play will be even more intricate. I can't wait!

The CPAWS needle felting workshop was such a great experience. We had a really bad snow / rain fall overnight so the roads were icy and slushy for the drive but 10 out of 14 people still showed up. None of the participants had needle felted before so it was really fun to show them the basics and the five steps to creating their own creatures.


Supplies and some of my works.


It was so nice crafting with other people. Everyone there has experience knitting, weaving or sewing and most of them remarked within the first 15 minutes how enjoyable and addictive the needle felting was. What was most fun was the conversation and laughter around the table.


Here they are just starting on the bodies of the animals. Only a few times did I hear "OW!!" as they started to get a feel for the needles.


In the two hour span we had a few people complete their projects and the rest brought theirs home to finish off.




We even had some young participants who were really creative.


We ended up with three skunks, one bear, a beaver, four rabbits and a squirrel.





I really liked teaching and all the participants managed to make their own animals and appeared to enjoy the project. CPAWS and Wabi Sabi will be holding an Earth Day Celebration Friday April 22nd from 6 - 9. Mark your calendars and be sure to come out and join the fun. My next workshop is Saturday from 10 - 1, I will be teaching people how to needle felt play food. Oh and on April first I will be helping Tonia set up the CPAWS display in the front window. I am looking forward to seeing all the animals gathered together!

I was going to end the post here but I just have to write about Sidney's newest love. Geronimo Stilton!
Sid cannot get enough of this mouse. His adventure books are chapter books filled with pictures and funny stories. She always has one in her hand or close by and is even trying to read them on her own. We have spent many hours this week cuddled up reading Geronimo books. Sid has started writing her own G.S. story (she dictates, I write) while doing the illustrations herself AND I have incorporated him into some of our daily activities. We did a really fun oil pastel picture of G.S. this week. Sid is blurry in the picture but you can see how proud she is!
I printed a picture of G.S and taped it to the underside of a piece of wax paper. We took a black sharpie and traced over him. Sid then spent time over two days colouring him with such care using oil pastels to match the picture. She added the clouds on her own and came up with the idea to put the sheet of wax paper over the construction paper to create a background. I think it is awesome!!!! When she has a new interest that motivates her it makes learning so easy and fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment